Current Watches and Warnings
North Carolina, Outer Banks Dare
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 4:24 PM EDT on September 19, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on September 20, 2014
... Beach hazards statement in effect from 8 PM EDT this evening
through Saturday evening...
The National Weather Service in Newport/Morehead City has issued
a beach hazards statement... which is in effect from 8 PM EDT this
evening through Saturday evening.
* Hazards... high risk of rip currents and strong longshore current.
* Location... beaches north of Cape Hatteras
* timing and tides... the most likely time for dangerous rip
currents will be a few hours either side of low tide... which
will occur around 1130 am Saturday.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins... jetties
and piers. Heed the advice of lifeguards and the beach patrol. Pay
attention to flags and posted signs posted near beach access
points and lifeguard stations.
If you become caught in a rip current... do not panic. Remain calm
and begin to swim parallel to shore. Once you are away from the
force of the rip current... begin to swim back to the beach. Do not
attempt to swim directly against a rip current... since it can
exhaust and even kill the strongest swimmer.
Strong longshore currents can sweep swimmers and surfers into rip
currents... piers... jetties and other hazardous areas. In many
cases the longshore current is strong enough to prevent swimmers
from being able to keep their feet on the bottom making it
difficult to return to shore.
Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the
new rip current hazard...
- Alaska - Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning
- Georgia - Record Report
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Indiana - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Maine - Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Coastal Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Missouri - Special Statement
- Montana - Lake Wind Advisory , Record Report
- Nebraska - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Flash Flood Watch
- New Mexico - Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- New York - Record Report
- North Carolina - Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Special Statement
- Puerto Rico - Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- South Carolina - Record Report
- South Dakota - Wind Advisory
- Texas - Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch
- Vermont - Record Report
- Virginia - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Record Report