Statement as of 9:58 AM MDT on August 23, 2017
Expires 10:00 PM EDT on August 23, 2017
958 am MST Wed Aug 23 2017
... Blowing dust advisory in effect from 3 PM this afternoon to
7 PM MST this evening northwest of Tucson...
The National Weather Service in Tucson has issued a blowing dust
advisory, which is in effect from 3 PM this afternoon to 7 PM MST
* Impacts... blowing dust can restrict visibilities below a mile
posing a significant hazard to motorists along Interstate 10
northwest of Tucson and routes 15 and 86 west of Tucson. In
addition... strong and gusty winds will likely suspend dust into
the air that people and animals breathe. Individuals with heart
disease and respiratory sensitivities may want to reduce their
level of exertion to limit the dust they breathe into their
lungs... especially if they are near dust- prone locations.
Those most at risk may feel better of they avoid outside
exercise today... keeping windows and doors closed to help
* Timing... areas of blowing dust are likely between 3 and 7 PM
* Winds... southeast winds of 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 45 mph
could produce areas of blowing dust.
* Visibility... could be reduced to less than 1 mile at times.
* For a detailed view of the hazard area... visit
weather.Gov/Tucson and click on the detailed hazards icon
* current air pollution levels are available from the Pima
County department of environmental quality website at
www.Pima.Gov/deq or by calling (520) 724-7446
A blowing dust advisory means that blowing dust will restrict
visibilities below one mile in some areas. Travelers are urged to
use caution. If you encounter localized dense blowing dust...
especially near plowed fields or construction sites... do not
drive into it if at all possible.