Current Watches and Warnings
California, Ventura County Coast
High Surf Advisory
Statement as of 6:57 PM PDT on August 28, 2014
Expires 9:00 PM EDT on August 29, 2014
... High surf advisory remains in effect until 6 PM PDT Friday...
* surf... surf will range from 5 to 8 feet with local Max sets to
10 feet along exposed south facing shores through tonight. The
surf will continue to subside through Friday.
* Tides... high tides are expected to be near midnight tonight at
around 4.5 feet... and again near noon Friday at around 5 feet.
* Locations... in Los Angeles County... the highest surf will
impact beaches from Long Beach through the Palos Verdes
Peninsula... including Cabrillo Beach and Point Fermin... as
well as Malibu and Zuma beaches. In Ventura County... beaches
at or near Port Hueneme... Point Mugu... County line... and
Oxnard Shores will be most impacted by the high surf.
* Impacts... very strong rip currents and long shore currents
will create extremely dangerous swimming and surfing
conditions... potentially life threatening. Unexpectedly large
waves can cover rocks and jetties near the Waters Edge... and
suddenly inundate beaches.
If you do not have to be in the water... stay on the shore. Stay
off rocks and jetties and away from the Waters Edge to avoid being
swept away. Never turn your back to the ocean.
Remember... if caught in a rip current... swim parallel to shore
until you are free of the powerful current.
- Alaska - Special Statement , Record Report
- California - High Surf Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Record Report
- Georgia - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Record Report
- Illinois - Flash Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Air Quality Alert
- Indiana - Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Hydrologic Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Maine - High Surf Advisory
- Massachusetts - High Surf Advisory
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Montana - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Special Statement
- Nebraska - Flood Warning , Flood Warning, Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory , Hydrologic Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New Hampshire - High Surf Advisory
- New York - High Surf Advisory
- North Dakota - Flood Warning
- Rhode Island - High Surf Advisory
- South Carolina - Record Report
- South Dakota - Areal Flood Advisory
- Texas - Coastal Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement