Current Watches and Warnings
California, San Diego County Coastal Areas
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 1:34 PM PST on December 19, 2014
Expires 1:00 PM EST on December 23, 2014
... Beach hazards statement in effect from late tonight through
The National Weather Service in San Diego has issued a beach
hazards statement for elevated surf... strong rip currents and
minor tidal overflow... which is in effect from late tonight
through Tuesday morning.
* Surf... 4 to 7 feet... with isolated sets to 8 feet.
* Locations... highest surf along exposed west-facing beaches...
especially north of Newport Beach in Orange County and south of
del Mar in San Diego County.
* Timing... surf building Saturday... then slowly lowering Sunday
through Tuesday. Minor tidal overflow Sunday through Tuesday
mornings. Strong rip currents Saturday through Tuesday.
* Tides... high tides around 7 feet a few hours after sunrise each
* Impacts... elevated surf and strong rip currents will result in
dangerous swimming conditions. Minor flooding of low-lying areas
along the beach is possible... including beach parking lots.
A beach hazards statement is issued when threats such as strong
rip currents... elevated surf heights... minor tidal overflow... or
lightning are possible at local beaches. Obey posted warning
signs and flags and talk to a lifeguard before swimming. Use
caution when in or near the water and always swim near a
The National Weather Service wants to hear from you.
Please visit the following link to give US feedback
on the new beach hazards statement:
- Arkansas - Record Report
- American Samoa - Flash Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch
- California - High Surf Advisory, Coastal Flood Advisory , High Surf Advisory , Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Winter Storm Watch , Public Information Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Winter Storm Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Flood Watch , Record Report
- Maine - Record Report
- Minnesota - Special Statement
- Mississippi - Record Report
- Montana - High Wind Watch , High Wind Warning , Winter Storm Watch , Winter Weather Advisory , Winter Weather Statement
- Nebraska - Dense Fog Advisory
- Nevada - Winter Weather Advisory
- North Carolina - Special Statement
- North Dakota - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Oregon - Areal Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Special Statement
- Tennessee - Special Statement
- Texas - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Utah - Winter Storm Watch , Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Special Statement
- Washington - Areal Flood Watch , High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , Coastal Flood Advisory, High Surf Advisory, Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Wyoming - High Wind Watch , Winter Storm Watch , Dense Fog Advisory