Statement as of 3:04 AM PDT on October 23, 2017
Expires 9:00 PM EDT on October 25, 2017
... Red flag warning remains in effect until 6 PM PDT Wednesday
for strong gusty winds and low humidity...
* wind... northeast winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts of 50 mph.
Stronger winds tonight and Tuesday of 25 to 35 mph with gusts to
55 mph and isolated gusts to 65 mph. Winds will not be quite as
strong nor widespread for Tuesday night into Wednesday morning
with areas of northeast winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 45 mph.
* Humidity... lowest daytime humidity around 5 percent today and
Tuesday with poorest overnight recovery near the coastal
foothills. Lowest daytime humidity Wednesday of 5 to 10 percent.
* Timing... the most extreme combination of heat... low humidity...
and wind through Tuesday. Then not quite as hot for Wednesday
with a slight recovery in humidity and with winds more localized
and not quite as strong.
* Outlook... weaker winds are expected for Thursday and Friday with
slow cooling spreading inland and with a gradual recovery of
* Impacts... any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly...
especially today and Tuesday. Outdoor burning is not
A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions
are either occurring now... .or will shortly. A combination of
strong winds... low relative humidity... and warm temperatures can
contribute to extreme fire behavior.