Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Washington County
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 2:59 AM MST on November 28, 2014
... Today in Metro Denver weather history...
25-28 in 1952... the average coldest 4-day period in November in the
previous 81 years of record occurred. Maximum temperatures
of 19... 15... 21... and 25 degrees were recorded. Minimum
temperatures were below zero each day with readings of
7 below... 6 below... 5 below... and 6 below.
25-29 in 1985... dense fog with visibilities as low as 1/8 mile
occurred on five consecutive days at Stapleton International
Airport. The fog was at times accompanied by light snow...
light freezing drizzle... or ice crystals. Fog occurred all
day on both the 26th and 29th.
28 in 1884... a windstorm during the afternoon produced northwest
sustained winds to 46 mph. Two wooden slats were blown
out of the weather instrument shelter... and nearly all of
the slats on the north and west sides were loosened.
In 1898... northwest winds were sustained to 50 mph with
gusts as high as 80 mph.
In 1902... northwest winds were sustained to 40 mph with gusts
to 48 mph. The strong apparent bora winds warmed the
temperature to a high of only 40 degrees.
In 1904... northwest winds sustained to 44 mph with gusts to
58 mph warmed the temperature to a high of 58 degrees.
In 1927... strong west winds occurred in Boulder... causing
widespread minor damage. A wind gust to 65 mph was
recorded at Valmont east of Boulder. The west winds
possibly produced a cyclonic Twist.
In 1928... heavy snowfall totaled 7.0 inches over downtown
In 1957... a vigorous cold front produced north-northeast wind
gusts to 54 mph at Stapleton Airport. Light snow following
the front totaled only 0.2 inch.
In 1970... strong Chinook winds reached 77 mph in downtown
In 1978... wind gusts 60 to 90 mph were reported in and near
In 1984... high winds of 60 to 80 mph occurred along the Front
Range eastern foothills. In Boulder... the high winds blew
the roof off a service station. Several trees were felled...
damaging some cars. An elderly woman was injured when she
was knocked down by a wind gust and blown 20 feet into some
bushes. Northwest winds gusted to 36 mph at Stapleton
In 1994... winds gusted to 72 mph in Boulder. No damage was
reported. Northwest winds gusted to 35 mph at Stapleton
28-29 in 1908... heavy snowfall overnight and for most of the day
on the 29th totaled 12.5 inches. Precipitation was
1.09 inches. Northwest winds were sustained to 26 mph
on the 29th.
In 1928... a major storm dumped 15.5 inches of snowfall on
downtown Denver. North winds were sustained to 18 mph
with gusts to 19 mph on the 28th.
In 1992... an upper level storm system moved across Metro
Denver... but left only a dusting of snow. Snowfall totaled
only 1.6 inches at Stapleton International Airport where
north winds gusted to 25 mph. Other snow amounts included:
8 inches at Conifer... 6 inches at Lake Eldora... 3 inches at
Rollinsville and in southeast Denver.
In 1997... a storm system tracking across northern New Mexico
produced strong north to northeast upslope flow against
the eastern slopes of the Front Range and Palmer Ridge.
Snowfall totals in Jefferson County included: 14 inches
near deckers; 12 inches at Castle Rock and sedalia; 10
inches near Conifer... 11 miles southwest of Morrison... and
at Buffalo Creek. Elsewhere... snow accumulations were less.
Snowfall totaled only 0.7 inch at the site of the former
Stapleton International Airport on the 27th and 28th.
In 2004... heavy snow fell in the foothills and across Metro
Denver. In the foothills... snowfall totals included: 13
inches at Roxborough State Park and Eldorado Springs...
11.5 inches near Conifer... 11.0 inches near Nederland... and
10 inches near Indian HIlls. Across Metro Denver snowfall
totaled 14 inches near Sedalia... 9 inches near Louisville...
8 inches at Ralston Reservoir... and 5.1 inches in the
Stapleton area of Denver. Northeast winds gusted to 28
mph at Denver International Airport on the 28th.
In 2006... a slow moving storm system brough heavy snow to
the mountains and to the eastern foothills where snowfall
ranged from 8 to 18 inches. Some of the more impressive
snow totals included: 18 inches at Genesee... 17.5 inches
near Boulder... 17 inches at Aspen Springs... 16.5 inches 10
miles northwest of Golden... 15 inches at Eldorado Springs...
14.5 inches in Idaho Springs and near Jamestown... 12 inches
in Grant and near Indian HIlls... 11.5 inches near Blackhawk...
11 inches at Gross Reservoir and Eldora... and 10.5 inches
in Conifer. Across Metro Denver... storm total snowfall
generally ranged from 5 to 9 inches with the heaviest
amounts near the foothills in Boulder and Jefferson
counties. The most impressive totals included: 15.5
inches at ken caryl... 12 inches in Boulder... 7.5 inches near
Morrison... and 7 inches near both Chatfield and Ralston
reservoirs. Snowfall totaled only 4.2 inches in the Denver
Stapleton area. Northeast winds gusted to 31 mph at Denver
International Airport on the 28th.
28-30 in 1991... a winter storm dumped heavy snow in the foothills
and near the Palmer Divide with 10 inches recorded at
Conifer and Golden Gate Canyon... 12 inches in Morrison...
6 inches at Castle Rock and Parker. Only 3.4 inches of
snow fell at Stapleton International Airport where north
winds gusting to 35 mph on the 29th... produced some blowing
snow. Some light freezing drizzle also fell on the 28th
- Alaska - Special Statement
- Arizona - Record Report
- Arkansas - Tornado Watch
- California - Lake Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Special Weather Statement , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Freeze Warning , Fire Weather Advisory
- Hawaii - High Surf Advisory
- Idaho - Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning
- Indiana - Flood Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Special Statement
- Louisiana - Tornado Watch
- Maryland - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Michigan - Special Statement , Record Report
- Minnesota - Winter Weather Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Montana - High Wind Warning , Wind Advisory , Winter Storm Watch , Avalanche Warning , Record Report
- Nebraska - Areal Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- New Hampshire - Special Statement
- New York - Lake Effect Snow Advisory , Lake Effect Snow Warning
- North Carolina - Special Statement
- North Dakota - Special Statement , Record Report
- Ohio - Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Tornado Watch
- Oregon - Wind Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Winter Weather Advisory , Lake Effect Snow Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- South Carolina - Flash Flood Watch
- Texas - Tornado Watch
- Utah - Special Weather Statement
- Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- West Virginia - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - High Wind Watch , High Wind Warning , Winter Storm Watch , Special Statement , Special Weather Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement