Current Watches and Warnings
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 3:16 AM CDT on July 23, 2014
Expires 11:00 AM EDT on July 24, 2014
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through Thursday
* high wave action and dangerous swimming conditions expected.
* Forecast wave heights... waves 7 to 11 ft occasionally to 13 ft.
* Strong rip currents and structural currents expected.
High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a
strong swimmer quickly.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in
sandbars. Structural currents form along piers where longshore
currents and wave action flow into the structure. Rip currents
and structural currents can sweep you into deeper water.
Exposed beaches are more likely to experience the most
significant wave and current impacts.
Impacts at beaches with protective breakwalls or jetties will be
subject to orientation of structures as well as wind and wave
For information on swim advisories or bans at Chicago beaches
Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the
new beach hazards statement...
Then after doing the survey visit US at http://weather.Gov/Chicago
Follow US on facebook... twitter... and youtube at:
- Alabama - Special Statement
- Alaska - Special Statement
- Arizona - Excessive Heat Warning , Air Quality Alert
- Arkansas - Heat Advisory
- California - Wind Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Heat Advisory , Record Report
- Colorado - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Special Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning
- Idaho - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement
- Indiana - Beach Hazard Statement
- Kansas - Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- Massachusetts - Special Statement
- Michigan - Beach Hazard Statement
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning
- Montana - High Wind Watch , Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Nebraska - Severe Thunderstorm Warning , Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- Nevada - Fire Weather Warning
- New Hampshire - Special Statement
- North Carolina - Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Heat Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- South Dakota - Record Report
- Tennessee - Special Statement
- Texas - Flood Warning , Heat Advisory , Special Statement , Air Quality Alert
- Utah - Fire Weather Warning
- Washington - Flash Flood Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Beach Hazard Statement
- Wyoming - Fire Weather Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Record Report