Current Watches and Warnings
North Carolina, Carteret
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 4:15 AM EDT on September 17, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on September 17, 2014
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through this
* hazards... strong rip currents and dangerous shore break.
* Location... high threat of rip currents north of Cape Lookout.
Moderate threat of rip currents south of Cape Lookout.
Dangerous shore break across all area beaches.
* Timing and tides... the most likely time for dangerous rip
currents is a few hours either side of low tide... which will
occur around 9 am today.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as groins...
jetties and piers. Heed the advice of lifeguards and the beach
patrol. Pay attention to flags and posted signs posted near beach
access points and lifeguard stations.
If you become caught in a rip current... do not panic. Remain calm
and begin to swim parallel to shore. Once you are away from the
force of the rip current... begin to swim back to the beach. Do
not attempt to swim directly against a rip current... since it can
exhaust and even kill the strongest swimmer.
Shore break occurs when waves break directly on the beach. The
most common injuries with strong shore break are neck and back
injuries... which most often occur when the powerful surf throws a
swimmer or surfer head first into the bottom. It is extremely
important to protect your head and neck whenever you are in
breaking waves by keeping your hands in front of you at all
Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the
new rip current hazard...
- Alaska - Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- Arizona - Areal Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- California - Flash Flood Watch , Lake Wind Advisory , Fire Weather Warning , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- District of Columbia - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement
- Georgia - Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement
- Idaho - Air Quality Alert , Record Report
- Illinois - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory
- Indiana - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Louisiana - Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Maryland - Public Information Statement
- Michigan - Frost Advisory , Freeze Warning
- Minnesota - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory
- Nebraska - Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Flash Flood Watch , Lake Wind Advisory , Record Report
- New Mexico - Flash Flood Watch
- New York - Freeze Watch
- North Carolina - Flood Warning , Flood Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Ohio - Record Report
- Oregon - Fire Weather Warning , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Public Information Statement
- South Dakota - Special Statement
- Tennessee - Special Statement
- Texas - Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- Virginia - Public Information Statement
- West Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Beach Hazard Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement