Current Watches and Warnings
South Carolina, Tidal Berkeley
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 11:45 PM EDT on September 21, 2014
... Hurricane Hugo makes landfall 25 years ago...
Twenty five years ago around midnight on September 22 1989...
hurricane Hugo made landfall just north of Charleston SC at
Sullivans Island as a category 4 storm with estimated maximum
sustained winds of 135-140 mph and a minimum central pressure of 934
mb or 27.58 inches. Hugo produced tremendous wind and storm surge
damage along the coast and even produced hurricane force wind gusts
several hundred miles inland into western North Carolina. In fact...
Hugo produced the highest storm tide heights ever recorded along the
U.S East Coast... around 20 feet in Bulls Bay near Cape Romain.
At the time... Hugo was the strongest storm to strike the U.S. In the
previous 20 year period and was the nations costliest hurricane on
record in terms of monetary losses... approximately 7 billion dollar
in damage. It is estimated that there were 49 deaths directly
related to the storm... 26 of which occurred in the United States...
Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Alaska - Areal Flood Advisory
- Arizona - Areal Flood Advisory
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Dense Smoke Advisory , Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Colorado - Flash Flood Watch , Record Report
- Florida - Flood Warning , Hydrologic Statement
- Georgia - Public Information Statement
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Air Quality Alert
- Iowa - Special Statement
- Maine - Dense Fog Advisory
- Massachusetts - High Surf Advisory , Special Statement
- Michigan - Frost Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Special Statement
- Nevada - Dense Smoke Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- New Hampshire - Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement
- New Mexico - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Advisory
- Ohio - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Oregon - Fire Weather Watch , Record Report
- Pennsylvania - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Rhode Island - High Surf Advisory , Special Statement
- South Carolina - Public Information Statement
- Texas - Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Areal Flood Advisory, Flash Flood Watch , Areal Flood Watch , Flash Flood Watch , Air Quality Alert
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Record Report
- Wisconsin - Frost Advisory , Special Statement
- Wyoming - Special Statement , Public Information Statement